Coleman Memorial Park enjoys a rich history beginning with the formation of the park from the five Coleman and Brock family estates
to the new history being formed today.
Not far from the Union Canal, brothers George Dawson and Robert Coleman built two hot-blast anthracite furnaces in the north-west
corner of Lebanon, the first such furnaces in Lebanon County, in the 1840s. In 1852, Robert sold his interests in the furnaces to
George Dawson. By 1853 George Dawson built the first mansion in what is now Coleman Park. This was a grand estate with stables, farms,
ice-house, a gate house and other related out buildings. The mansion was torn down in 1961 and in the history of the Colemans the
mansion is called the "Homestead". George Dawson married Deborah Brown of Philadelphia in 1852 and as their children grew and married
the estate was parceled off to accommodate the children. The other mansions were built for Sarah and Arthur Brock, Debbie and Horace
Brock, Bertram Dawson Coleman and John Penn Brock. All of these properties were deeded or sold to the City of Lebanon beginning in
1936 and Coleman Memorial Park was created.
Today the "Homestead" stables, known as the Carriage House, stands in the center of the park. The "Homestead"' gate house greets visitors
to the park and the gate house for the Horace Brock mansion bids farewell to visitors as they exit the park. The Ready House, a garage,
stands to the north of where the "Homestead" stood. Other remains are visible in the park, including the garden area of the John Penn
Brock mansion. Also, along the south end of the park are remains from the furnace operations - the large stone wall on the right as
you exit the park are the remains of a vanity wall constructed to shield the Horace Brock mansion from the operations of the furnaces.
The Homestead and Homestead Stables
North Lebanon Iron Workers
Photos Courtesy of the Lebanon Historic Society
2012 Copyright Coleman Memorial Park